Tuesday, June 3, 2014

First International Event-2014

Sundown Marathon Singapore brings out night running and stood out from other marathons that took place in the morning. It was the nation’s first night marathon in 2008, and had reached 30,000 runners till date, making it Asia’s largest night marathon
This year with a new theme: BRING ON THE NIGHT.
Yes I registered for my first International half marathon in Singapore, 2014 as a commencement to the Family Vacation this year in Singapore and Phuket.
Arrived Singapore day before the Run, Day Sunday all geared up landed into the F1 pit area from where the run had to start.  Entry to the start pen was via a narrow pathway at the front of the pit building and it was a bottleneck, with everyone squeezing their way in.  It almost took me half an hr to reach the start line.
The half-marathoners were the last to go off at 12:30AM (on 1 June).
All Runners getting ready for race.
The start, as all large-scale running events go, was very very crowded.  My strategy was to just follow a good pacer for few kilometers to get out of the crowd. And I surely followed one till 4 kms but the weather was unbelievably humid (probably due to the impending rain) and the atmosphere was very stuffy, especially when running in a crowd. Result I was already drenched.  I started slowing down.  
After Nicoll Highway, the lanes got narrower as we entered the Kallang area and people were getting impatient as they struggled to overtake. I was already soaked to the skin.  At the end of a bridge (before the 6km mark), there was a hydration station, after having water I felt soooooo much better as if I was alive from dead.  I picked up the speed again.

Hydrated again myself at 8km mark, felt so much relieved.  As I approached the 10km mark, the road widened and visibility was better, so the run became less congested.
Singapore River Lah @ Marina Sandsbay
The best part of this run was around the Marina Sandsbay area that brings the best scenic night of Singapore and made my running much more pleasant.  I thoroughly enjoyed that part of Singapore.
Although, had a tough time crossing the Benjamin shears bridge which was quite steep @ 16km mark, seeing everybody walking that bridge,  so I also started walking but as I tried to restart my run after few minutes got a severe cramp as usual (my old problem)

Bouts of rain came on after we passed the Fort Road point.
And the last 20km Mark.
The rest of the journey was a mental game as the mind battled with the legs to go on. This was the first run where, all kinds of thoughts ran through my mind, including the thought of never doing this again in Singapore. 
But after I completed it, with jelly legs as a souvenir, felt a great sense of accomplishment.
Running at night has a different set of challenges due to the reduced visibility, as I thought it would be cooler temperature, but I was wrong the extra humidity really killed me.

I admit it is insane to be running your lungs out while others are asleep, but the 30,000 of us who went for the Sundown Marathon certainly share the same crazy element.
Hereby we earned our Holiday which starts now..

At the end, with a thought
"Strength and growth comes only through continuous effort and struggle." - Napoleon Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment